Friday, May 27, 2011

Not Your Typical Festival

I’m adding a new feature to my blog today: a festival feature. As summertime draws near, so do a bushelful of small town festivals. It’s one of the signs of the changing seasons, like falling leaves in autumn, first snowfall in winter, tulips in spring . . . and festivals in summer. My own small town of LaMotte, Iowa (population 266) throws a traditional 4th of July festival. It’s a good time. We stuff ourselves on grilled brats & burgers, visit the beer tent, watch the parade, play a little bingo or paddleboard poker, and finish up the night in lawn chairs watching the fireworks overhead. 

But I’ve noticed while trolling through small town papers that some towns have turned the idea of celebrations on their ear. These towns do not throw the typical small town festival; they get a little crazy. They throw festivals like Frozen Dead Guy Days, Duct Tape Festival, National Hollerin’ Contest, Combine Demolition Derby, Nothing Festival, and Underwater Music Festival. These are the kinds of festivals I’ll be featuring on my site. I’ve created a tab at the top of this blog called Not Your Typical Festival. Click on the tab for a month’s worth of offbeat, silly, and sometimes weird festivals. I’ll update at the end of each month.

If you know of a festival that should be included, please click on Contact Me and let me know. 

Let the summer begin!

No comments: